The LPD8 is an ultra-portable USB-MIDI controller featuring 8 light-up pads and 8 knobs you can assign to virtually any software parameter. With a slim profile weighing less than a pound and measuring less than 13" across, the LPD8 easily fits in your laptop case, backpack, or DJ bag for producing/performing on the go.
The LPD8 has eight orange light-up pads that are velocity sensitive for programming rhythmic or melodic parts. The pads can also send program-change information to software. Additionally, the LPD8 has eight assignable Q-Link knobs you can assign to virtually any parameters in their software for hands-on control and has four memory banks for programming and recalling settings appropriate to different software programs. Also includes a software editor for easy saving and changing of settings through your computer. Works plug and play with Mac or PC (no software driver installation or external power cord necessary).
As Akai's answer the Korg's Nano series, the LPD8 holds up very well and actually has a few advantages. While both feature ulra-slim profiles and portability, the LPD8 combines pads AND knobs in one unit (although the knobs are rather short) whereas you would have to buy 2 Nanos (the PAD and KONTROL) to get these features with Korg. It is also slightly shorter than the nanoPAD and features a nice matte finish with rounded corners. Recommended.
- USB-MIDI controller works with virtually all audio software
- 8 backlit, velocity-sensitive drum pads can send note or program change
- 8 Q-Link knobs for controlling virtually any parameters in software
- Plug-and-play USB connection for Mac and PC requires no driver installation
- Small enough to fit in a backpack or laptop bag
- 4 programmable memory banks
- comes with editor software for Mac and PC
- USB bus powered - no additional power cable needed