"Surprise Chef’s music is based on evoking mood; their vivid arrangements utilize time and space to build soundscapes that invite the listener into their world. The quintet’s distinct sound pulls from 70s film scores, the funkier side of jazz, and the samples that form the foundation of hip hop. They push the boundaries of instrumental soul and funk with their own approach honed by countless hours in the studio, studying the masters, and perhaps most importantly, the 'tyranny of distance' that dictates a unique perspective to their music. Hailing from just outside of Melbourne, Australia their first two albums, All News Is Good News and Daylight Savings amassed a die-hard fanbase and brought their sound from their home studio to every corner of the globe. The band is now signed to Big Crown Records, joining a lineage of contemporary and classic sounds that have influenced Surprise Chef’s music since their formation in 2017. Their self proclaimed 'moody shades of instrumental jazz-funk' have a bit of everything: punchy drums, infectious keys, rhythm guitar you might hear on a Studio One record, and flute lines that could be from a Blue Note session. But when you step back and take in the entirety of their sound and approach, you'll hear and see a group greater than the sum of its parts. Tracks like 'Velodrome' pair chunky drums with an earworm synth line that has all the making of something you would find on an Ultimate Breaks & Beats compilation while numbers like 'Iconoclasts' show their knack for tasteful use of space. From the crushing intro of 'Suburban Breeze' to the floaty mellow bop of 'Spring’s Theme' Surprise Chef has weaved together an album that takes you through peaks and valleys of emotion and provides a vivid soundtrack that will pull you deeper into your imagination." - Big Crown Records
- 3rd studio album from Australian instrumental jazz-funk band Surprise Chef
- Turntable Lab exclusive
- ’ink smoke’ colored vinyl (please note: actual pressing color and packaging may differ from mock-up photo)
- limited edition of 300
- tracklist: 1. Bakery Pledge Of Allegiance 2. Grinners Circle 3. Velodrome 4. Suburban Breeze 5. Conversation Piece 6. Iconocolasts 7. Money Music 8. Spring's Theme 9. Together Again 10. Winter's Theme 11. Ten & Two 12. Goldie's Lullaby
- music label: Big Crown Records 2022
- TTL Editions 099
Pre-Order Notes + Order Instructions
- If you want to order additional items with a pre-order item, please make separate orders (1 order with pre-order item, 1 order with everything else). Adding non-pre-order items will possibly delay your order.
- Orders containing multiple / separate pre-order items will be held until all pre-order items are in stock and shipped at once.
- If there is a delay, we will contact you directly.
- All vinyl pre-orders come with Turntable Lab stickers.