TTL Setup: Audio-Technica AT-LPW50PB / Sonos Five
1.0 SET UP YOUR SONOS FIVE
Unpack + plug in your Sonos Five.
Download the Sonos app on your mobile device and create an account (or log into your existing account), then follow prompts to set up your new Sonos Five on your device.
2.0 SET UP YOUR AT-LPW50 TURNTABLE
Find a clear surface to unpack the contents of the box. Here are things you should locate:
- Platter - located in hexagon-shaped interior box
- Power Supply + RCA cable - located in plastic bag taped to the main plastic bag
- Headshell / Cartridge + Counterweight + Hinges for Dustcover - embedded on the side of styrofoam inserts
- Dustcover (not pictured)
SET UP THE PLATTER + CONNECT THE BELT
- flip the platter over
- locate the red ribbon and WITHOUT dislodging the ribbon, remove the piece of tape, and position the ribbon as shown below
- flip the platter back over, black side up
- using the (2) finger holes, place the platter on turntable
- spin the platter so the ribbon is at 10 o'clock position, which reveals the copper colored motor pulley underneath
- grab BOTH sides of the ribbon and pull the attached belt around the copper motor pulley. now you can dispose of the ribbon.
Now, locate the Counterweight and screw it onto the tonearm about three quarters of the way in. Take the headshell and screw that on as well. Take off the clear plastic stylus guard. Note: We'll discuss calibrating your tonearm at the end of this guide.
Go to the back input area of your turntable.
- IMPORTANT: make sure the Phono-Line switch is positioned to LINE.
- Plug-in the RCA cables and attach the u-shaped groundwire into the silver post and tighten the screw-down clamp.
- NOTE: If you ever want to add an external phono preamp to your system, you would attach the groundwire on both sides of the cable and turn that switch on the back of the turntable to PHONO.
Locate the Audioquest adaptor we sent you with your TTL Setup, plug that into the other end of the RCA cable (again, the groundwire can be loose), and plug the adaptor into your Sonos Five.
3.0 SET UP YOUR SONOS APP TO PLAY VINYL
Open the Sonos App on your device and click on the MUSIC NOTE ICON (🎵) at the bottom of the screen. Select LINE IN > select YOUR SONOS DEVICE.
Place a record on the turntable, turn the power knob to 33 or 45 (the platter should start to spin), then place the needle on the record (if you’re new to vinyl, you may want to use your turntable’s lift lever to gently lower the needle onto the record).
Music will play… but WE’RE NOT DONE YET. We recommend some setup tweaks below.
4.0 TWEAKS FOR BETTER VINYL PERFORMANCE
Select SETTINGS ICON (the gear ⚙️) on bottom of the app. Under SYSTEM > PRODUCTS > select YOUR SONOS DEVICE.
Scroll down to LINE-IN.
- For Source Name, select TURNTABLE.
- For Source Level, we recommend setting to LEVEL 10 for louder experience.
- For Audio Delay, we recommend MEDIUM, this eliminates that weird lag between when you put the needle on the record and when the sound plays.
- For Autoplay, select your location, and activate the location. This lets your Sonos device recognize when a record is playing and it will automatically turn on (otherwise you’d have to repeat step 3.1 every time you play a record.
Not necessary at setup but under SOUND, explore EQ + Trueplay (this feature optimizes your sound to your room; it uses your mobile device’s mic to determine wall placement) to customize your sound.
We recommend balancing your tonearm. Watch the video below for a general guide on how to do this with most turntables.
My turntable is not spinning, even though it is plugged in and on. Make sure you installed the belt properly. Make sure you hit the power switch on the left side of the turntable.
The sound output is super quiet. Make sure the switch on the underside of the turntable is set to LINE OUT.
There’s a weird delay from when I put on the needle to when I hear my music. Make sure to set your Audio Delay settings to MEDIUM or LOW (see 4.2).
The Five does not recognize when my turntable is playing. Under the MUSIC ICON, make sure that you have LINE IN selected. For your FIVE to automatically do this when your turntable is playing, go to Autoplay settings and turn it on that option (see 4.2).
6.0 UPGRADES (SOLD SEPARATELY)
The cartridge that comes with your AT-LPW50 is a solid cartridge. When it's time to switch styluses or you just want an upgrade, check out the AT-VMN95EN stylus. It works with your current cartridge body and it's very easy to install. With its nude diamond stylus (vs. your diamond tip), it will provide better sound definition and forgiveness.
We also recommend a record stabilizer like AT618. It helps get rid of outside distortion by dampening vibrations. You can get each of these upgrades individually or together in this discounted upgrade kit.
Line Phono: Acrylic Anglers ($30) - These aesthetically pleasing stands will lift your Five off of surfaces, lessening sound deflection while angling the output slightly upward.
Turntable Lab: Triple Operation Brush ($25) - The Carbon Fiber brush that came with your setup is great for everyday usage (we use one in our office). However, our new Triple Operation brush is on another level in terms of effectiveness with dual cleaning pads plus an integrated carbon fiber brush.