- viable, cost-effective alternative to Technics 1200
- LAB EXCLUSIVO: all orders include FREE Lab Turntable Pack which includes a TTL Carbon Fiber Record Brush and (1) high-quality TTL PH Slipmat (a 30.00 value! ships separately)
- suitable for all types of DJing including heavy scratching
- powerful, high torque direct drive motor
- dampening, cast-aluminum platter
- accurate pitch control
- button for quartz speed lock (speed goes to 0)
- 3 way adjustable tonearm
- RCA + power cords are detachable
- closed design under the platter offers dust protection
- USB output for direct to computer connection
- built-in preamp
- high gloss black finish
- rubberized base
- includes dust cover
- cartridge sold separately
Finally, here's a viable, cost-effective alternative to the Technics 1200 (which is now discontinued). Audio-Technica has always been known for their turntables and turntable accessories, but this is their first turntable specifically designed for DJing. In terms of base features that are key for DJing, the AT-LP1240-USB hits all necessary marks: solid construction, powerful motor, accurate pitch / speed control, and a skip resistant tonearm. Check out the video below for our test of these features. The AT-LP1240-USB will definitely meet your DJ needs whether you are just beat match mixing or scratching doubles.
The key to AT-LP1240-USB's design is that it borrows its key functionality and design from the Technics 1200. The cast metal platter and rubberized base give the turntable that essential "heaviness feel". Even the black gloss finish seems more solid than the standard plastic top turntable faceplate. The high-torque motor rivals the force of the 1200, and the adjustable tonearm features similar controls (tracking weight, anti-skate, height adjustment) to the 1200. The quartz lock button is a popular feature borrowed from the 1200 MK5 model.
In addition, the AT-LP1240-USB includes many deluxe features that you will not find on the Technics 1200. The USB output and built-in pre-amplifier are excellent features for those who are ripping vinyl. The removable cords and under-platter closed design address some of the 1200's biggest flaws. The reverse play, dual start / stop buttons, and start / stop controls will appeal to DJs that need more control.
AT-LP1240-USB vs. TECHNICS 1200
Is the AT-LP1240-USB as good as the Technics 1200? The AT-LP1240-USB is a viable alternative to 1200 for DJ usage, however, it is not in the top class of the 1200. The 1200 features superior construction, more metal parts, and a higher quality tonearm. When you factor in price and availability, the AT-LP1240-USB becomes the realistic choice for many DJs. In addition, the look may not be the classic 1200, but the AT-LP1240-USB's sleek design beats out most of its current competitors.
LAB's OWN EDDIE IXL TESTING THE AT-LP1240-USB
- reverse play button
- S-shaped tonearm with adjustable tracking force, height adjustment, and anti-skate adjustment
- powerful, high torque direct drive motor
- hydraulic arm-lift mechanism
- 33 / 45 / 78 rpm speeds
- dual start / stop buttons
- start + brake control adjustments
- adjustable feet for leveling
- 3-speed, fully manual operation
- power supply: 120V AC, 60 Hz
- dimensions: 450 x 353 x 166.5 mm / 17.72 x 13.9 x 6.56 inches
- weight: 12.5 kg / 27.6 lbs
- 45 adapter
- removable RCA cables
- removable stylus target light
- USB cable
- Audacity recording software for MAC + PC
Questions & AnswersAsk a Question
Hi, Can you please recommend several cartridge options for the AT-LP1240-USB DJ Turntable? I only plan on listening to records- no DJ usage.
For the Audio Technica: AT-LP1240-USB DJ Turntable we recommend the following cartridges for listening:
Ortofon 2M Red Cartridge: Standard for entry level audiophile quality Clear and clinical sound Tipped Elliptical diamond stylus Grado Prestige Black1 Cartridge Affordable high end cartridge Wide and warm sound Elliptical diamond stylus
Audio Technica VM530EN Dual Moving Magnet Cartridge
High end sound, low distortion
Elliptical nude stylus
Center shield plate between the left and right channels reduces crosstalk and results in outstanding channel separation
What is the height of the AT-LP1240-USB DJ Turntable ? I know the spec states 6.56". I am interested to find the height of the turntable without the dust cover as I have a height restriction where I want to place the unit in my home theater. Thank You
We measured the height of the Audio-Technica AT-LP1240-USB DJ Turntable to be 5.875" without the dust cover. You'll need at least an additional inch above that to operate the tonearm.
Can the built in pre-amp be turned off?
Yes, the Audio-Technica: AT-LP1240-USB Turntable has a switch on the back to set the turntable to Line or Phono. To disable the built in preamp, set the switch to Phono.