”Miles Davis was on the verge of forming one of his most acclaimed ensembles in 1964. It was this year that he travelled to perform in Japan for the first time, bringing with him 3/4ths of the musicians that would form his famed "second great quartet": Herbie Hancock on piano, Ron Carter on double bass, and Tony Williams on drums. In addition, the jazz legend brought along saxophonist Sam Rivers to replace the recently exited George Coleman. Davis and Rivers never developed any major chemistry and frequently found their distinct styles clashing (or perhaps dueling) in their performances. Rivers would ultimately be dismissed from the group at the end of their trip, leading to the arrival of Wayne Shorter, and the inception of the second great quintet.” - Get On Down
- red colored vinyl pressing
- authorized reissue of 1969 Japan-only live album
- recorded live in Tokyo July 14, 1964
- featuring Sam Rivers (t. sax), Herbie Hancock (p), Ron Carter (b), Tony Williams (d)
- housed in gatefold jacket w/ obi strip
- includes folded full color printed insert
- limited edition
- music label: Get On Down 2020
CLICK TO PLAY AUDIO PREVIEWS
Questions & Answers
Have a Question?
Be the first to ask a question about this.