"After all, that's what we did - came in and cooked." - Miles Davis
Between 1956 and 1961, Prestige Records released five albums that redefined the jazz landscape, recorded by arguably the greatest jazz quintet of all time: trumpet player and bandleader Miles Davis, saxophonist John Coltrane, double bassist Paul Chambers, pianist Red Garland and drummer Philly Joe Jones. This 6xLP collection compiles the material from all five albums - Miles, Cookin', Relaxin', Workin' and Steamin' (note: the song orders are slightly adjusted and don't necessarily follow the tracklisting of the original LPs) as well as supplemental television and live recordings from the era.
- 6x black vinyl LP
- includes material from Miles, Cookin', Relaxin', Workin' + Steamin' plus bonus live + broadcast recordings
- housed in hard outer binder packaging
- includes extensive liner notes by jazz historian Bob Blumenthal
- limited edition
- tracklist: SIDE A 1. Stablemates 2. How Am I to Know? 3. Just Squeeze Me SIDE B 1. There Is No Greater Love 2. The Theme 3. S'posin SIDE C 1. In Your Own Sweet Way 2. Diane 3. Trane's Blues SIDE D 1. Something I Dreamed Last Night 2. It Could Happen to You 3. Woody'n You SIDE E 1. Ahmad's Blues 2. Surrey with the Fringe on Top 3. It Never Entered My Mind SIDE F 1. When I Fall in Love 2. Salt Peanuts 3. Four 4. The Theme (take 1) 5. The Theme (take 2) SIDE G 1. If I Were a Bell 2. Well You Needn't 3. 'Round Midnight SIDE H 1. Half Nelson 2. You're My Everything 3. I Could Write a Book 4. Oleo SIDE I 1. Airegin 2. Tune Up 3. When Lights Are Low SIDE J 1. Blues by Five 2. My Funny Valentine SIDE K 1. Steve Allen Intro* 2. Max Is Making Wax aka Chance It 3. Steve Allen Intro 2 4. It Never Entered My Mind 5. Tune Up 6. Walkin' SIDE L 1. Four 2. Bye Bye Blackbird 3. Walkin' 4. Two Bass Hit
- music label: Craft Recordings 2019
reviewed by big kahuna burger 09/2019
Questions & Answers
Have a Question?
Be the first to ask a question about this.