Congratulations on your new TTL Setup! Here are detailed instructions on how to completely set up your Audio-Technica AT-LPW50PB turntable and Edifier S2000 MKII speakers, plus some tweaks for optimizing the setup.
1.0 SET UP EDIFIER S2000 MKIII Speakers
Unpack your Edifier speakers and place them where you want them in your room. Note that the speakers can be no more than 8 Feet apart.
Turn the speakers around so the backs are facing you. Make sure the power switch is in the off position and plug the speaker into an outlet. (Note: only one speaker will be plugged into power outlet).
Locate the interior box that says "INCLUDES A SPEAKER CONNECTING CABLE." Use the enclosed thick grey cable to connect the speakers together. This cable carries the audio signal and power to the "satellite" speaker.
2.0 SET UP YOUR AT-LPW50 TURNTABLE
Find a clear surface to unpack the contents of the box. Here are things you should locate:
- Platter - located in hexagon-shaped interior box
- Power Supply + RCA cable - located in plastic bag taped to the main plastic bag
- Headshell / Cartridge + Counterweight + Hinges for Dustcover - embedded on the side of styrofoam inserts
- Dustcover (not pictured)
SET UP THE PLATTER + CONNECT THE BELT
- flip the platter over
- locate the red ribbon and WITHOUT dislodging the ribbon, remove the piece of tape, and position the ribbon as shown below
- flip the platter back over, black side up
- using the (2) finger holes, place the platter on turntable
- spin the platter so the ribbon is at 10 o'clock position, which reveals the copper colored motor pulley underneath
- grab BOTH sides of the ribbon and pull the attached belt around the copper motor pulley. now you can dispose of the ribbon.
Now, locate the Counterweight and screw it onto the tonearm about three quarters of the way in. Take the headshell and screw that on as well. Take off the clear plastic stylus guard. Note: We'll discuss calibrating your tonearm at the end of this guide.
Go to the back input area of your turntable.
- IMPORTANT: make sure the Phono-Line switch is positioned to LINE.
- Plug-in the RCA cables and attach the u-shaped groundwire into the silver post and tighten the screw-down clamp.
- Attach the other end of the RCA cables to your speaker. NOTE: the groundwire will not be connected to the speaker. You can leave it dangling.
- NOTE: If you ever want to add an external phono preamp to your system, you would attach the groundwire on both sides of the cable and turn that switch on the back of the turntable to PHONO.
3.0 PLAY A RECORD
Power on your turntable by pressing the button in on the back of your turntable. Place a record on the platter, turn the power knob to 33, then place the needle on the record. If you’re new to vinyl, you may want to use your turntable’s lift lever to gently lower the needle onto the record (see pic below).
Turn on the speakers by pressing the power button on the back. Either by pressing the rear volume button or using the remote, select LINE 1. There's a display on the front of the speaker that will tell you that you're on LINE 1. Give it a second and your music should play!
We recommend balancing your tonearm. Watch the video below for a general guide on how to do this with most turntables.
- When the video calls for recommended weight, set to "2".
- For the Anti-Skating dial, set it to "2" as well.
Your AT-LPW50 has leveling feet. If your surface is not completely level, you can turn each individually foot to adjust for any unevenness. For exactness (not necessary), you can use a standard level or a special turntable level.
6.0 UPGRADES (SOLD SEPARATELY)
The cartridge that comes with your AT-LPW50 is a solid cartridge. When it's time to switch styluses or you just want an upgrade, check out the AT-VMN95EN stylus. It works with your current cartridge body and it's very easy to install. With its nude diamond stylus (vs. your diamond tip), it will provide better sound definition and forgiveness.
We also recommend a record stabilizer like AT618. It helps get rid of outside distortion by dampening vibrations. You can get each of these upgrades individually or together in this discounted upgrade kit.
Edifier SS02c Speaker Stands for S2000 MKIII ($149.99) - These stands are specifically designed for your speakers with a complimentary design. Made of wood, these stands stand at an optimal height for listening and feature several anti-vibration design features.
Audioquest: Evergreen RCA Cables ($49.95) - Audio-Technica turntables come with stock RCA cables. Upgrading to a higher-grade cable is an easy sound quality boost. We recommend the Audioquest Evergreen. If you're on a budget, Audioquest Tower cables ($29.95) will work.