Pre-Order Notes + Order Instructions
- This item is scheduled to ship Early December 2019 (subject to change)
- If you want to order additional items with a pre-order item, please make separate orders (1 order with pre-order item, 1 order with everything else)
- If there is a delay, we will contact you directly
- all pre-orders come with Turntable Lab stickers + notepad
Spiritual jazz, soul jazz, black jazz, free jazz: these terms emerged in the late 60s / early 70s to describe a moment in music that was being increasingly defined by the rife socio-political climes surrounding the jazz world. Some of these recordings have gone on to such adoration, they eclipse the decades of foundational jazz that precede it; others languish in obscurity and are quickly forgotten, only to be dredged up by discerning sound seekers like the gang at UK’s Jazzman Records. This first volume of the Spiritual Jazz series was originally released in 2008, collecting 12 sides of avant-garde and politically-charged soul jazz by scene fixtures from the American underground and beyond. From Egyptian drummer Salah Ragab to third-string Arkestra bassist Ronnie Boykins, none of these artists will likely be familiar even to the most seasoned heads, let alone household names. As such, many of the original pressings from whence these recordings originally appeared are now impossibly rare - Jazzman does the deep digging (and spending) here so you don’t have to. The series has since grown to become one of the most reliable surveys of this music and its various strains plucked from the worldwide jazz diaspora, and volume 1 is a near-perfect primer for anyone humbly looking to expand their jazz horizons. Check out James Tatum Trio Plus’ neutralizing “Introduction,” Morris Wilson Beau Bailey Quintet’s funky “Paul's Ark,” Hastings Street Jazz Experience’s widescreen “Ja Mil” or The Frank Derrick Total Experience’s self-explanatory “No Jive” for a taste. Limited double vinyl repress with remastered audio and extensive liner notes executed in signature Jazzman style, recommended.
- black double vinyl pressing (please note: actual pressing color and packaging may differ from mock-up photo)
- remastered 2019 pressing, originally released in 2008
- limited edition
- release date: 12/06/19
- tracklist: 01. James Tatum Trio Plus - Introduction 02. Lloyd Miller - Gol-E-Gandom 03. Morris Wilson Beau Bailey Quintet - Paul's Ark 04. Mor Thiam - Ayo Ayo Nene 05. Ndikho Xaba & The Natives - Nomusa 06. The Positive Force with Ade Olatunji - The Akrikan In Winter 07. Salah Ragab and The Cairo Jazz Band - Neveen 08. The Frank Derrick Total Experience - No Jive 09. Hastings Street Jazz Experience - Ja Mil 10. Ronnie Boykins - The Will Come, Is Now 11. Leon Gardner - Be There 12. Ohio Penitentiary 511 Jazz Ensemble - Psych City
- music label: Jazzman 2019
reviewed by nick nightingale 10/2019
Questions & Answers
Have a Question?
Be the first to ask a question about this.