"A groundbreaking jazz recording by the longtime Miles Davis collaborator Gil Evans highlights the latter's supreme and influential skills as a jazz orchestrator. This album is a brilliant example of Evans' ability to make a large orchestra sound like a smaller jazz combo using orchestrations that infuse the larger unit with the immediacy and spontaneity of the smaller. Out Of The Cool features some of Evan's finest compositions, including the famous 'La Nevada' as well as a magnificent performance of George Russell's 'Sratosphunk.' Soloists include Budd Johnson (tenor), Johnny Coles (trumpet), Ray Crawford (guitar), Elvin Jones (drums), Ron Carter (bass) and Jimmy Knepper (trombone). The ensemble is superbly recorded by the legendary Rudy Van Gelder. A must-have for all lovers of jazz." - Acoustic Sounds
- landmark 1961 album combining jazz + orchestra from longtime Miles Davis arranger
- 180g black vinyl pressing
- Acoustic Sounds edition remastered from original analog tapes
- housed in tip-on gatefold sleeve w/ liner notes
- limited edition
- featuring Gil Evans (p), Budd Johnson (t. sax), Johnny Coles (t), Jimmy Knepper (trombone), Ron Carter (b), Elvin Jones (d) + more
- music label: Impulse! 2021
CLICK TO PLAY AUDIO PREVIEWS
Questions & Answers
Have a Question?
Be the first to ask a question about this.