What's The Difference Between Pro-Ject Debut Carbon & Debut Carbon DC Turntable?
DEBUT CARBON vs. DEBUT CARBON DC
➸ 01/17: for a more up to date review, please check out our latest Pro-Ject Debut Carbon DC Review.
What's The Difference Between Pro-Ject Debut Carbon and Debut Carbon DC Turntables?
1) Cosmetically, the Pro-Ject Debut Carbon and Debut Carbon DC will look identical. They feature the same body (plinth), platter, tonearm, and cartridge.
2) The Debut Carbon DC features a new DC power supply with ultra precision frequency DC-driven AC generator (like the one you'll find in Pro-Ject's Speed Box) for ultimate speed stability. This power supply also uses much less power when turntable is not in use / idle.
3) There's also a new 9v AC motor with new TPE motor suspension. TPE stands for "thermo plastic elastomers," which is a dampening material used in Pro-Ject's high end Xpression series. This new suspension will help to reduce vibration caused by the motor's operation.
4) I don't really understand points #1 + #2... what does this mean? With these adjustments, the Debut Carbon DC will have more stable speed (for accurate playback) and a quieter operation (for less distortion caused by unwanted vibrations). Basically, the two models will look identical, but DC model will sound / perform better.
5) The Pro-Ject Debut Carbon DC is also $50 more expensive than regular Debut Carbon ($399 vs $449).
DEBUT CARBON DC vs. DEBUT CARBON DC ESPRIT SB
What's The Difference Between Pro-Ject Debut Carbon DC and the Debut Carbon DC Esprit SB Turntables?
1) The Debut Carbon DC Esprit SB is an upgraded version of the Debut Carbon DC. There are two upgrades.
2) The first upgrade is the inclusion of 33 / 45 RPM button. With non-Esprit Debut Carbon turntables to switch from 33rpm to 45rpm playback, you need to manually switch the belt setting underneath the platter. The Esprit essentially has a full Speed Box built in (thus the "SB" in the name).
3) The second upgrade is that the steel platter has been swapped with Pro-Ject's Acrylic Platter ($129 when bought separately). In addition to its great aesthetics, the acrylic platter is known to improve sound quality playback.
4) The Debut Carbon DC Esprit SB retails for $599 ($150 more than the Debut Carbon).
VISUAL CHEAT SHEET
PURCHASE DEBUT CARBON TURNTABLES at TURNTABLE LAB
DEBUT CARBON SETUP GUIDE by Turntable Lab