"Andrew Hill is one of the most distinctive pianists and composing talents in jazz. Yet this profoundly moving session recorded in 1969 sat unreleased until 2003 when it was finally issued on CD through the efforts of Blue Note archivist Michael Cuscuna. Hill penned all seven of Passing Ships’ compositions for an ensemble featuring Woody Shaw and Dizzy Reece on trumpet, Julian Priester on trombone, Joe Farrell on saxes, flute and bass clarinet, Howard Johnson on tuba, Bob Northern on French horn, Ron Carter on bass, and Lenny White on drums. Passing Ships stands comparison to Hill’s greatest work, and is presented for the first time on vinyl with this Tone Poet Edition. All-analog, mastered-from-the-original-master-tape 180g audiophile vinyl reissue in deluxe gatefold packaging." - Blue Note Records
- 180g black double vinyl pressing
- housed in glossy tip-on gatefold sleeve w/ extensive liner notes
- part of Blue Note's Tone Poet 180g audiophile remaster series
- all-analog remaster cut from the original tapes
- first time on vinyl
- featuring Andrew Hill (p), Woody Shaw (t), Dizzy Reece (t), Julian Priester (trombone), Bob Northern (fr. horn), Howard Johnson (tuba), Joe Farrell (sax, flute), Ron Carter (b), Lenny White (d)
- music label: Blue Note Records 2021
CLICK TO PLAY AUDIO PREVIEWS
Questions & Answers
Have a Question?
Be the first to ask a question about this.