First class sessions from Mingus reissued. Originally released in 1963, Mingus Mingus Mingus Mingus Mingus features two sets of recordings from the renowned bassist / composer. The majority of tracks ("II B.S.," "Mood Indigo," "Theme For Lester Young," "Hora Decubitus," and "Better Get Hit In Yo Soul") were recorded on September 20, 1963 with an all-star cast including Eddie Preston, Don Butterfield, Jaki Byard, and Walter Perkins; while "I X Love" and "Celia" were recorded earlier that same year (January 20th) with Rolf Ericson, Charlie Mariano, Jay Berliner, and Dannie Richmond. Bob Hammer assists Mingus throughout the album on arranging and orchestrator duties due to the large ensemble of brass and saxophones. 8 tracks in all. Also, Premo sample!
- 180g black vinyl pressing
- Acoustic Sounds edition remastered from original analog tapes
- housed in tip-on gatefold sleeve w/ liner notes
- limited edition
- featuring Charles Mingus (b, p) Eric Dolphy (a.sax), Booker Ervin (t. sax), Jerome Richardson (b. sax, s. sax), Eddie Preston (t), Jaki Byard (p), Dannie Richmond (d), Walter Perkins (d) + more
- music label: Impulse! 2021
reviewed by neck cork 05/2016