Blue Note Classic Series 180g pressing of Herbie's 1964 classic. The fourth studio album from the maestro himself with a TIGHT roster showing up for possibly one of the purest jazz albums in existence. Ron Carter on bass, Freddie Hubbard on cornet, Anthony Williams on drums, and of course Herbie Hancock on piano duties. Written and arranged by HH, the album was produced to sound more improvised than ensemble melodies. The album also features two of his most famous cuts "One Finger Snap" and "Cantaloupe Island", the latter being famously sampled by US3 in the early 90s. Four cuts in total with more swing than Babe Ruth.
- 180g black vinyl pressing
- all-analog remaster cut from the original tapes
- featuring Herbie Hancock (p), Freddie Hubbard (t), Ron Carter (b), Anthony Williams (d)
- original release year: 1964
- music label: Blue Note Records 2023
reviewed by Gene Jacket 1/2015