Hiroshi Sato's 1982 masterpiece finally gets an official reissue! Awakening is widely considered a genre-defining work of City Pop and AOR music in Japan, and has recently gained worldwide attention thanks to the ever-growing interest in Nihon No Ongaku (Japanese music). Sato was already a well-respected musician by the early 80's - appearing on dozens of releases as a session keyboardist, releasing solo albums (including 1979's Orient), and even declining an offer from Haruomi Hosono to be in Yellow Magic Orchestra! It was around this time Sato moved to Los Angeles and signed to Alfa Records - whom he convinced to purchase a Linn LM-1 drum machine, used heavily here. Despite working with several heavy players in L.A. (including Spencer Davis and Randy Crawford), Awakening would end up being the work of Sato acting mostly as a one-man band in Tokyo after he moved back to Japan in 1982, along with vocal contributions by Canadian-Australian singer Wendy Matthews, who is featured prominently on the standout cut "Say Goodbye" (along with Tatsuro Yamashita on guitar duties). Other guest spots include Yuji Toriyama ("From Me To You"), Tsunehide Matsuki ("Blue And Moody Music", "I Can't Wait") and Steve Hiewett on photography. This 2019 import reissue comes pressed on translucent blue vinyl, complete with fully remastered sound from the original master tapes. Recommended.
- translucent blue colored vinyl pressing
- limited edition Japanese import
- remastered sound from the original master tapes
- considered a genre-defining album for City Pop & AOR in Japan
- Hiroshi Sato started his career as a keyboardist for Tin Pan Alley (a group of studio musicians led by Haruomi Hosono)
- vinyl cut by Bernie Grundman Mastering
- tracklist: 1. Awakening（覚醒）, 2. You're My Baby, 3. Blue And Moody Music, 4. Only A Love Affair, 5. Love And Peace, 6. From Me To You, 7. I Can't Wait, 8. It Isn't Easy, 9. Awakening, 10. Say Goodbye
- release date: 12/27/19
- music label: Sony Japan 2019
CLICK TO PLAY AUDIO PREVIEWS
Questions & Answers
Have a Question?
Be the first to ask a question about this.