Jack White pushes the physical limitations of vinyl records on his latest solo album. It’s easy to view the actual music as an afterthought with the ambitious nature of what the former White Stripes front man has done here. Limited edition pressing on 180-gram vinyl, the easter eggs on this record include 2 vinyl-only tracks hidden beneath the center labels, 1 hidden track that plays at 78 RPM and one at 45 RPM, making this a 3-speed record (plus Side A plays from the inside out). And those are just a few of the hidden treasures. One of the most interesting feats is the ‘dual groove’ that encompasses “Just One Drink”. Basically, it plays an electric or acoustic intro depending on where needle is dropped. The grooves then join forces for the body of the song.
Let’s not forget about the real content though. There might have been a lot put into the bells and whistles of the playback functions but Jack White is still not messing around when it comes to his music. “Three Women” is an unruly southern-rock jam with sharp keys and organs hurrying you along. We get a nice change of pace into a classic Nashville duet on “Temporary Ground” and a refreshingly upbeat and happy tune with “Alone in My Home”. The grit and attitude of Jack White’s country-blues-punk is alive and well. He is better than ever at knowing where his pocket is and he continues to master his tone and craft.
ULTRA LP FEATURES
- 2 vinyl-only hidden tracks hidden beneath the center labels
- 1 hidden track plays at 78 RPM, one plays at 45 RPM, making this a 3-speed record
- Side A plays from the inside out
- Dual-groove technology: plays an electric or acoustic intro for “Just One Drink” depending on where needle is dropped. The grooves meet for the body of the song.
- Matte finish on Side B, giving the appearance of an un-played 78 RPM record
- Both sides end with locked grooves
- Dead wax area on Side A contains a hand-etched hologram by Tristan Duke of Infinity Light Science, the first of its kind on a vinyl record
- MIDI mode allows use as controller for any software
- Absolutely zero compression used during recording, mixing and mastering
- music label: Third Man Records 2014