"For his first album on Deutsche Grammophon, Joe Hisaishi, the revered Japanese composer whose work has become synonymous with the magical Studio Ghibli animations of director Hayao Miyazaki has created an exciting series of symphonic arrangements of his original soundtracks for such Ghibli classics as Spirited Away, Princess Mononoke and My neighbor Totoro. Fittingly titled A Symphonic Celebration, it presents state-of-the-art recordings of his extraordinary work for this much-loved artistic force in animated movie-making. Recorded in London by the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra, conducted by the composer, its tracks are newly arranged by Hisaishi for symphony orchestra and features Grace Davidson, Avi Avital, Bach Choir and Stephen Morris. Hisaishi ranks among Japan’s greatest composers of all time and is famed worldwide for his collaborative work with Oscar-winning director, animator and Studio Ghibli founder Hayao Miyazaki. Their creative partnership began in 1984 with the post-apocalyptic anime feature Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind and has since developed to the point that they are now likened to other legendary director-composer pairings, including Hitchcock and Herrmann, Fellini and Rota, Leone and Morricone, and Spielberg and Williams. Indeed, Hisaishi’s reputation has been secured by the fact that his soundtracks have won eight Japanese Academy Awards, an unprecedented achievement. He is equally acknowledged, however, as a conductor and as a composer of contemporary classical music, much of it minimalistic and experimental in nature, like that of friends and colleagues such as Philip Glass, Terry Riley and Nico Muhly." - Deutsche Grammophon
- black double vinyl pressing (please note: actual pressing color and packaging may differ from mock-up photo)
- gatefold sleeve
- tracklist: 1. Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind 2. Kiki’s Delivery Service 3. Princess Mononoke 4. The Wind Rises 5. Ponyo on the Cliff by the Sea 6. Castle in the Sky 7. Porco Rosso 8. Howl’s Moving Castle 9. Spirited Away 10. My Neighbor Totoro 11. Merry-Go-Round of Life (from ‘Howl’s Moving Castle’) 12. One Summer’s Day (the Name of Life English Version from ‘Spirited Away’)
- music label: Deutsche Grammophon 2023
Pre-Order Notes + Order Instructions
- If you want to order additional items with a pre-order item, please make separate orders (1 order with pre-order item, 1 order with everything else). Adding non-pre-order items will possibly delay your order.
- Orders containing multiple / separate pre-order items will be held until all pre-order items are in stock and shipped at once.
- If there is a delay, we will contact you directly.
- All vinyl pre-orders come with Turntable Lab stickers.