Original score for Panos Cosmatos' mesmerizing occult thriller Mandy; this would be Johann Johannsson's final work before his tragic passing earlier this year. The score draws inspiration from doom metal, drone, ambient and distant spectres of John Carpenter's horror synthscapes, underscoring the film's wild rollercoaster of emotions ranging from tender reverie ("Sand," "Dive Bomb Blues"), revenge ("Memories," "Seeker of the Serpent’s Eye"), doom ("Black Skulls") to sheer terror ("Temple"). In addition to sound designers Pepijn Caudron and Yair Elazar Glotman (who assembled the final product after Johannsson's passing), Johannsson tapped Stephen O'Malley of Sunn O))) for some truly dreadful guitar work that adds a whole new dimension to Johannsson's compositions. It's entirely unlike the orchestral balladry of his Oscar-winning Theory Of Everything score or the unsettling drone of Arrival and Sicario, but just as (if not more) stunning. Transparent red colored vinyl housed in deluxe gatefold with flossy finish with printed insert and paper band wrap, recommended.
- translucent red colored vinyl
- housed in deluxe gatefold jacket w/ UV spot gloss finish
- includes printed insert + horizontal obi strip w/ album tracklist
- pressed at Optimal in Germany
- limited edition
- tracklisting: Seeker of the Serpent’s Eye, Starling, Mandy Love Theme, Horns of Abraxas, Black Skulls, Death and Ashes, Sand, Red, Forging the Beast, Dive-bomb Blues, Waste, Temple, Burning Church, Memories, Children of the New Dawn
- music label: Invada 2018
reviewed by military 2step 09/2018
Questions & Answers
Have a Question?
Be the first to ask a question about this.