Imagine was originally recorded in February and June of 1971 and was more heavily produced than the music on the critically acclaimed John Lennon/Plastic Ono Band. It is John Lennon's most popular solo outing and the title track is thought by many to be one of his finest moments. Lennon would later give Yoko Ono credit for co-writing the plea for world peace with him. George Harrison features on half of the album's tracks, but Paul McCartney features only as the inspiration for "How Do You Sleep?". Lennon wrote the song in retaliation against McCartney's alleged personal attacks on Lennon and Ono, on his then-recent Ram album. Both "Oh My Love" and "How?" reference Lennon's ongoing experience with primal therapy. This newly remixed clear double vinyl edition features 'The Ultimate Mixes' on the first LP and a treasure trove of demos and alternate versions on the second. Includes a giant fold out poster, two postcards and printed inner sleeves with extensive liner notes.
- clear double vinyl pressing
- 1st LP contains 'The Ultimate Mixes' remixed from original master tapes
- 2nd LP contains rare demos + outtakes
- housed in full color sleeve w/ printed inner sleeves
- includes 2 postcards + giant foldout poster
- music label: Capitol 2018
reviewed by brian nilsson 08/2015