Heaven Is Real! John Maus fans have been crying for a reissue of the man’s catalog on vinyl for years, and while individual represses of each album are on the horizon, here’s a chance to snatch them all up at once, with a treasure trove of extras to sweeten the deal for patient Mauskateers. This set was previously only available direct from Ribbon Music, but our lovely neighbors at Domino have blessed us with a limited amount (we’re told these are the last copies in existence). There’s simply too much brilliant music contained here and not enough time or space for me to write about it in one sitting, so we’ll focus on the exclusive materials. There’s a 56 page full color booklet with rare photos of John’s home and workspace, and lyrics for all his songs; many of which have been hard to make out through all the gloomy reverb they’re soaked in, plus a smaller booklet containing transcribed sheet music for a selection of songs from his catalog, autographed by Maus. The real prize here is Addendum, a brand new full-length album that won’t be made available on wax outside of this set. It was recorded during the Screen Memories sessions, and its just as good, if not better… tracks like “Episode,” “Outer Space,” “Privacy” and “Second Death” are up there with the man’s most chilling tunes, but longtime fans will want to head straight for the last two tracks (“1987” and “I Want To Live”); re-recorded versions of early rarities that didn’t make it onto Songs (also, discerning fans will note that the artwork is recycled from John’s first release, the Love Letters From Hell CD-R from 2000). It’s all housed in a glossy hardcover slipcase with a giant foldout poster and download code for all six records, which have been remastered at Abbey Road Studios and sound fantastic. Highly recommended. Note: Screen Memories is on black vinyl and is packaged outside of the boxset, all other LPs are on colored vinyl.
- limit (1) per customer
- Songs (2006) - red colored vinyl
- Love Is Real (2007) - pink colored vinyl
- We Must Become the Pitiless Censors of Ourselves (2011) - yellow colored vinyl
- A Collection of Rarities and Previously Unreleased Material (2012) - purple colored vinyl
- Screen Memories (2017) - black vinyl
- Addendum (2018) - gold colored vinyl
- remastered at Abbey Road Studios
- includes 56 page lyric booklet, autographed sheet music booklet, 36" x 24" foldout poster, hardcover outer box + code for digital download
- limited edition of 1000
- music label: Ribbon Music 2018
reviewed by yung pilot astray 06/2018
Questions & Answers
Have a Question?
Be the first to ask a question about this.