Pre-Order Notes + Order Instructions
- This item is scheduled to ship Mid July 2019 (subject to change)
- If you want to order additional items with a pre-order item, please make separate orders (1 order with pre-order item, 1 order with everything else)
- If there is a delay, we will contact you directly
- all pre-orders come with Turntable Lab stickers + notepad
Writing for others allowed Prince the chance to fully explore interesting directions that might not have suited the idealistic trajectory of his solo career. Got a sick country ballad that doesn’t really work on Sign O’ The Times? All good, just give it to Kenny Rogers (“You’re My Love”). That new funk song you wrote sound too much like your old shit? Morris Day & The Time will take it (“Jungle Love”)! Originals pulls back the curtain to reveal these prototypical versions - ranging from scratch demos to fully-fleshed out songs - used as a reference for the artists who would make them famous. We’ve known Prince was behind these classics all along: his singular style cuts through flesh and bone, and the use of ‘secret’ aliases like Jamie Starr and Joey Coco was futile before the records even went to print. Still, hearing the Purple One himself doing “Sex Shooter,” “Manic Monday,” “Holly Rock” and “Gigolos Get Lonely Too” (jeez, this one!) gives us chills. He reportedly left behind so much unreleased music, the Paisley Park estate has claimed they could potentially released a new Prince album every year for the next hundred years if they wanted to. And although the Purple One - infamously overprotective of his recorded archives - is almost certainly rolling in his grave here, I mean, we can’t NOT jam this. 15 tracks altogether: 14 previously unheard originals plus the original recording of “Nothing Compares 2 U,” which was previously teased as a 7-inch. This is the standard edition on black double vinyl; deluxe purple colored vinyl edition with CD and booklet also available. Recommended.
- black double vinyl pressing (please note: actual pressing color and packaging may differ from mock-up photo)
- release date: 07/19/19
- tracklist: 01 “Sex Shooter” (Apollonia 6) 02 “Jungle Love” (The Time) 03 “Manic Monday” (The Bangles) 04 “Noon Rendezvous” (Sheila E.) 05 “Make-Up” (Vanity 6) 06 “100 MPH” (Mazarati) 07 “You’re My Love” (Kenny Rogers) 08 “Holly Rock” (Sheila E.) 09 “Baby, You’re A Trip” (Jill Jones) 10 “The Glamorous Life” (Sheila E.) 11 “Gigolos Get Lonely Too” (The Time) 12 “Love… Thy Will Be Done” (Martika) 13 “Dear Michaelangelo” (Sheila E.) 14 “Wouldn’t You Love To Love Me?” (Taja Sevelle) 15 “Nothing Compares 2 U” (The Family/Sinéad O’Connor)
- music label: Warner Brothers 2019
reviewed by Isosceles Kramer 06/2019
Questions & Answers
Have a Question?
Be the first to ask a question about this.