10th anniversary edition of Robert Glasper's explosive debut, which featured high-grade jazz funk covers of timeless classics alongside originals sporting some high-profile features. This expanded package includes the Black Radio Recovered remix EP plus 3 bonus tracks, all on vinyl for the first time ever. Original Lab review:
Jazz meets hip hop done right by the Robert Glasper Experiment on Blue Note Records. According to producer/pianist Glasper, Black Radio is the much needed slap in the face jazz has needed for some time now. After putting this on here in the office, I'd say his attempt to revitalize jazz and inject some energy into the genre is quite successful, especially when you take into account the list of high profile guest artists he has on this piece! The featured artist list is like a who's-who of top neo soul and conscious hip hop artists including Erykah Badu, Bilal, Shafiq Husayn (of SA-RA), Lupe Fiasco, and Yasiin Bey aka Mos Def. Add these voices over work of Glasper along with saxist/vocoderist Casey Benjamin, bassist Derrick Hodge, and drummer Chris Dave and you have an undeniably fresh sonic landscape that may very well be a future classic. Features many outstanding originals, as well as surprising covers of Sade, David Bowie, and even a vocoder version of Nirvana's "Teen Spirit."
- 10th anniversary expanded edition
- includes the full original album plus the Black Radio Recovered EP, ft. remixes by Pete Rock, Questlove, 9th Wonde + more, on vinyl for the 1st time
- also includes 3 bonus tracks, including covers of Little Dragon + 'A Love Supreme'
- black triple vinyl pressing
- deluxe triple panel gatefold jacket w/ booklet
- original release year: 2012
- music label: Blue Note Records 2012
reviewed by Von Bee 05/2012