the alt-country reactionaries set their sights on 45 Son Volt is the post-Tupelo project from Jay Farrar. Union sees his doleful, understated vocals as raw as ever, a fierce volley of tirades about everything the current administration is responsible for. He channels godfather of protest Woody Guthrie’s twang and scope alike on final track “The Symbol”, the tale of a man who helped rebuild New Orleans post-Katrina only to be deported. The band is as tight as ever, drifting somewhere between folk, country, and blues. This edition of 1000 LPs comes pressed on limited edition maroon vinyl and includes an 11x11" screenprint autographed by Farrar.
- pressed on limited edition maroon vinyl
- includes a screenprint signed by Jay Farrar
- printed inner sleeve includes full album lyrics
- digital download included
- limited to 1000 copies
- music label: Thirty Tigers 2019
reviewed by Zero Lions or Bears 04/2019