Pre-Order Notes + Order Instructions
- This item is scheduled to ship Late September 2020 (subject to change)
- If you want to order additional items with a pre-order item, please make separate orders (1 order with pre-order item, 1 order with everything else)
- If there is a delay, we will contact you directly
- all pre-orders come with Turntable Lab stickers + notepad
"The Ascension is at heart a pop record, Sufjan Stevens' first. And when it came to writing these songs, Sufjan’s goal was simple: keep it moving. Eighties and early nineties jams informed Sufjan’s songwriting on this record, with Janet Jackson’s brilliant Rhythm Nation, produced by Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis, as guiding light - both for the pop framework and the underlying political themes. The beats on The Ascension sound a lot like those great eighties beats: honed, skillful, yes, but also big and loud and thick and, well, just straight up fun. The hooks are obvious and catchy and like any good pop song, last way past when you’re done listening to the song. Sufjan’s vocals on The Ascension are soft, beautiful, natural, real, true. All of this took work, two years to write and record in upstate New York, using Prophet synthesizers and Tempest drum machines almost exclusively. But the process wasn’t arduous, not in the way that Sufjan’s 2015 Carrie & Lowell exacted an emotional toll. Unlike that record, The Ascension is not autobiographical, but it did come on the heels of a lot of changes for Sufjan -- which in turn informed the broader thematic structure of the record. The Ascension is editorial, it’s a pop record, but it’s also a break-up record, though less about breaking up with a person and more about breaking up with the former constructs of life. In saying goodbye Sufjan is saying hello to rebirth, a re-animation, self-realization, the personalization of responsibility. Change cannot occur without actualization." - Asthmatic Kitty
- clear double vinyl pressing (please note: actual pressing color and packaging may differ from mock-up photo)
- limited edition
- release date: 09/25/20
- tracklist: 1. Make Me An Offer I Cannot Refuse 2. Run Away With Me 3. Video Game 4. Lamentations 5. Tell Me You Love Me 6. Die Happy 7. Ativan 8. Ursa Major 9. Landslide 10. Gilgamesh 11. Death Star 12. Goodbye to All That 13. Sugar 14. The Ascension 15. America
- music label: Asthmatic Kitty 2020
Questions & Answers
Have a Question?
Be the first to ask a question about this.