20th anniversary edition! The White Stripes were already making a lot of noise around the world when they recorded Elephant. After releasing material on a few indie labels they made their major label debut with this 2003 release. Many believe that this record is the best material they've ever recorded. It was recorded over two weeks in April 2002 at London's Toe Rag Studios using antiquated equipment, including an eight-track tape machine and pre-1960s recording gear. Many of their best known songs are featured on Elephant, including the Grammy winning "Seven Nation Army," "The Hardest Button to Button," and the Burt Bacharach cover "I Just Don't Know What to Do with Myself." Limited 20th anniversary edition pressed at Third Man in Detroit on red smoke (LP1) & clear with red & black smoke (LP2) with deluxe gatefold packaging.
- 20th anniversary edition pressed at Third Man in Detroit
- red smoke & clear/red/black smoke colored double vinyl pressing
- housed in gatefold jacket w/ printed inner sleeves + liner notes
- limited edition
- original release year: 2003
- music label: Third Man Records 2023
reviewed by Hank Ohs 09/2013