Some of Thelonious Monk's first recordings as a bandleader for Blue Note. These 1947 sessions are incredibly important to the world of jazz and the celebrated pianist's career. Many of the songs would go on to become standards despite their difficulty and angularity. The looping head of "Off Minor," or the post bop Bud Powell tribute "In Walked Bud." "Well You Needn't" bounces along seemingly unaware of the melancholy piano of Monk. And the whole things kicks off with "Round Midnight," a song that has become one of the most recorded in the history of jazz. Genius Of Modern Music Volume One features Monk in top form, a must for any jazz collection.
- 180g black vinyl pressing
- mono sound
- all-analog remaster cut from the original tapes
- featuring Thelonious Monk (p), Sahib Shihab (a. sax), Billy Smith (t. sax), Idrees Sulieman (t), George Taitt (t), Milt Jackson (vibes), Gene Ramey (b), Art Blakey (d) + more
- original release year: 1951
- music label: Blue Note Records 2022
reviewed by Cool Hand 02/2015