This is perhaps the perfect Yo La Tengo album. Painful kicked off the New Jersey band's long running relationship with Matador records. At the same time the album marked a creative shift for the band. Their noise jams were blended with atmospheric and ambient sounds where they further explored their folky guitar experimentalism. Somehow the combination of all of their weird sounds added up to an indie rock masterpiece. In celebration of Yo La Tengo's 30th anniversary Matador has put together Extra Painful. The expanded edition features unreleased songs and demo versions along with a bonus 7" and some extra bells and whistles that are sure to please. A fine way to celebrate such a long running career if you ask me.
- bonus "Shaker" 7"
- download code with 15 extra tracks
- reproduction of original band-aid sticker
- the first YLT Gazette in 14 years
- liner notes by the band and semi-trusted advisers
- music label: Matador 2014