A truly iconic quartet, completed at last. In Joy Division’s transition to New Order, their clearest upgrade was the addition of keyboard player Gillian Gilbert. She’s on guitar duty on this version, with the overall vibe more Movement than Closer. This is the version from Substance, which they never seem to reissue. What’s up with that? (The early, more rugged version of "Ceremony" is available here.) Housed in a replica of the jacket from the original Factory UK release, this 12” sports newly remastered audio.
- "Ceremony" is the 4:36 version originally released in September 1981.
- "In A Lonely Place" is the original mix, not the one with added digital handclaps
- black vinyl, packaged in a replica of the original 1981 sleeve
- first US release for these tracks in this format
- also available in the series: Ceremony Version 1 12", Everything's Gone Green 12", Temptation 12"
- music label: Rhino 2019
reviewed by what the fac 04/2019